Sunday, January 5, 2020

Nostalgia


I heard recently that millennials would be the last generation of people to be haunted by nostalgia in the true sense of the word. It's almost on a clinical level for us. For the generation that came later, the internet makes everything that they grew up on easily accessible. My childhood was spent immersed in Kumba's (that's what I still call my mother's sister) illustrated Russian fairytale books, a whole crate of children's books from around the globe that dad bought for me at an auction, Mamma's collection of Phantom, Mandrake, Beau Peep, and Flash Gordon comics, MOTU and TMNT action figures, and countless hours spent exploring the backyard (that looked a lot more expansive to me back then than it does now) with Kumba and our overprotective daschunt Bobby who was a whole year older than I was. It was much later, after I turned 7, that I discovered Tintin, Asterix, GI Joe, Balarama, Poompatta and several other things which have influenced my craft. Of late I've been on a mad hunt to procure the things I grew up on, and thanks to my wife @merrynjohn and my good friends @eltouch and @aswinseesit, I've been able to get many of them. But that still just about scraped the top of that iceberg and I have a feeling that the hunt is going to last the rest of my life. Sorry about the mile long rant. I just happened to spend a couple of hours after my evening tea to play around with some colors and here's what I cooked up... Part nostalgia, part imagination, and part walk down la rue Mémorie. You guys figure out which is which. Have an enchanted evening!  #fantasy #art#childrensbookillustration #fairytale #folklore #lore #childhood #nostalgia#daschunt #artistlife #monster #Illustration #faerie

No comments: